Hi hello! Today I'm talking about vegan cupcakes! I happen to date a vegan and his dad is dairy-free so I decided to whip something up that they can't usually eat! They are super yummy and sweet with a Christmas spin on them. (P.S. you should make sure that the person whose house you're making these at has a cupcake pan so you don't have to go to Publix to buy one last minute, hah!)
Serves 12 Regular Size Cupcakes
- 1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), softened
- scant 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles + more for topping
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Splash non-dairy mil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a standard muffin holder with 12 paper liners.
- Whisk the milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get curdled.
- Add softened butter to the bowl and mix. Then add sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Sift in the following ingredients: 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and then remaining 1/2 cup flour. Blend until smooth.
- Add sprinkles and gently stir with a mixing spoon.
- Divide evenly among cupcake holders making sure NOT to overfill. Mine were a little over 3/4 full.
- Bake on a center rack at 350 for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack. In the meantime, prepare frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl add softened butter and beat until light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and mix once more.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and continue mixing until thick and creamy. Drizzle in a little non-dairy milk to thin. You want this frosting to be very thick so it will hold its shape once on the cupcakes.
- Once cooled, frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles. Serve immediately. Store leftovers covered at room temperature or refrigerated.
*Big thanks to Minimalist Baker for this recipe !